Some things you may want to know:
- The Subscription, which this year is £34.70, is payable in January, 2014
- At most meetings there are usually two or three designated ‘Hostesses’. The job of the hostesses is to provide milk and biscuits for the evening’s meeting making sure that there is coffee and tea in stock; prepare the cups/saucers etc ready for the evening and wash up afterwards. They also provide a posy, plant or small arrangement of flowers for the table and designate one person to propose a vote of thanks to the speaker if there is one. If anyone can’t attend on their duty evening they are expected to swap with someone else. It is a good idea to arrive early to the meeting so that there is time to get ready. (Usually ‘who does what’ is organised between you!)
- Tea/coffee and biscuit is 50p
- We have a regular competition table and generally members select which item they think is the most worthy by placing a pebble beside it. Points are awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd which are added up and a prize is awarded at the end of the year for the member with the most points. This year we are having the word HOLIDAYS as a theme and you can choose any item beginning with the month’s designated letter (e.g. for January you can bring one item beginning with H). We hope you will take part.
- We also have a regular book stall. Books are brought in by members and we charge 50p per book or 3 for £1.00. Popular ones can get recycled a number of times bringing in much needed extra funds
- There are usually plant, bring and buy stalls and raffles during the year to raise funds both for our WI and for ACWW (Associated Country Women of the World).
- The committee arranges social activities like visits to gardens, the theatre and meals out and from time to time workshops of varying kinds. Transport is always arranged with payment to the drivers agreed in advance. Occasionally there is a coffee morning or a faith lunch to support a local charity.
- There is usually a Christmas lunch out and a Christmas party in the Village Hall for the December meeting.
- We usually try to take part in the Christmas Tree Festival held in St Mary’s Church, Melton Mowbray.
- Every other year we try to hold a Craft, Flower and Produce show and entries are judged and comments made by Federation judges.
- Every six years we host the Group Annual meeting (in 2015) or the Annual Group Carol Service (2018).
- Our Group consists of Rearsby, Thrussington, Hoby, Melton Mowbray, Melton Afternoon and Burton Lazars Institutes.
Our Federation Office is at: WI House, 135 Loughborough Road, Leicester, LE4 5LQ. Tel. 0116 2661342. Office Hours are: Monday – Thursday 11.00 am – 3.00pm
The nearest WI Market is held in Melton Mowbray every Tuesday (not January) 09.30 -11.30