Gallop 2002

Saturday 21st December 2002  

The Course

The course took the runners over the fields to Barsby. The fields are mainly pasture and the going was rather heavy. In Barsby the route followed the Main Street for a quarter of a mile before leaving the village on tracks and field edges in a semi-circular route to Ashby Folville. The race then ran around the back of the village across muddy fields and through the brook. Finally the runners headed back towards Gaddesby church across very heavy fields to finish opposite the Village Hall.

The Race was supervised and timed by officials from Wreake Runners.

Registration was from 10:00 at the Village Hall with an entry fee of £2.50.

 On The Day

The race was started by Santa from the field opposite the Cheney Arms pub. In addition the Church Bells were rung to signal the start. It had been raining for some days prior to the Saturday and the going was very heavy in places.  The 79 starters ran down to the Brook on a muddy track before fighting their way around and across recently seeded fields and muddy pasture fields towards Barsby.  Conditions had caused the organisers not to route the runners through the dew-pond at the top of the first ridge but this didn’t stop the eventual winner from plunging in in front of an incredulous marshal.  The organisers decision was vindicated when the leader had to breast stroke his way out.

After several more muddy fields the runners went through Barsby and out across the fields towards Twyford before turning back to Ashby Folville.  After a rest running on a metalled track  the runners crossed the road to skirt the village which involved running across  a ford (sadly ankle deep) and a large muddy set-aside field before more pasture land until the final leg back to Gaddesby.  This involved more recently seeded muddy fields, waterlogged pasture and the coup de grace  – a traverse up across a recently ploughed field.  The final dog-leg back to the finish at the Village Hall across pasture came as a relief.

The finishers were given a ticket entitling them to free mulled wine and a mince pie back at the pub where the village carol singers were entertaining the bystanders. There were also bacon  and sausage cobs for sale


  1. John Collingham (Wreake Runners)  31:14
  2. Mark Rose (Shepshed RC) 31:40
  3. Ian Murdey (Beaumont RC) 32:13.
  1. Renee Heath (Charnwood AC) 36:42
  2. Jo Payne (Shepshed AC) 42:47
  3. Sue Cox 43:24

First local man back was Ken Flear, and best local woman was Justine Hunt.  There was a special prize for the last local which was awarded to Matthew Hargrave, aged 10, who managed to complete the course ahead of his dad, Simon.

There were 79 starters.

Next Year

The race was organised as a one off by the Gaddesby Gallopers – who also organise the Gaddesby Half Marathon which was in its third year in 2002.  The Gallop was so well received that the team have determined to run it again next year only with more water.  There may also be an official Junior race over a shorter course.